Thursday, September 2, 2010

*Untitled*

Things only matter
When they shouldn’t
Hot water that
Doesn’t sear the skin
Falling
Without the threat of landing

Burdened with the primal knowledge
That things aren’t what they seem
Stepping over the torn out hearts of pacifists
Who fought for nothing

What we present to the universe
Is not always what we receive
It is milled over, picked apart, and judged
By the powers-that-be

These tracks don’t lead to me
Only to the shell of who I could be
Animated by the whisper of a wish
Inaudible in these depths…

I’ve risked nothing
To define reality
Stream-lined and candy-coated shades of gray
This picturesque dream

Smoke-and-mirror parlor tricks
These things you offer me
Nothing that could be something
That isn’t or is…

Don’t presume to know my thoughts
I’m not cast from any particular mold
It was a breath that gave me life but,
My fabric was woven by me alone

I’m not timid…
I’m observing

And, I can take nothing
As well as I can give it.


~Jennifer Rapier-Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment