Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ascension

Sometimes it stings
Looking back at things
That keep moving through my mind
But never break away,
Like a billboard
Standing there for everyone to see,
With a big spotlight,
You can’t even miss it at night.
Everyone looks, but no one speaks
Such a freakish sight;
People swerve just to take a look.
I can’t hide

Sometimes I sigh and even cry
When I think about the time
Wasted on taking a hand that wasn’t there,
And trying to keep up.
And the lies that hurt my eyes
The glass that cut my feet,
Too many times
I spoke whispers and hoped someone would listen,
Afraid.
And I tried to hide

I’ve hidden in pages, and riddles
Under cloth and behind strings,
I’ve hidden in stereotypes and expectations
Under a blanket of submission,
And behind rings.
Still…
I can’t hide

So, I walk, willingly into the light,
And turn my back on things that aren’t there,
Waste less breath on thoughts
And words of thoughts that take away
My smile,
And the peace of exoneration.
I like to smile…


~Jennifer Rapier-Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment