Monday, May 2, 2011

Simple?

Nothing is ever simple is it?
Well, not the important things…
I could really use an atlas right now,
Because I’m confused
And the only direction
I can seem to accurately go in
Is south

All I can accomplish
Are more questions,
And a paralysis
Born out of a fear
Of the unknown…
I’ve succumbed to the
Stagnation of inaction

Sitting here,
Quietly hoping that
The universe will
Sort everything out
While I try to
Remain neutral. 
But, the one thing I’m certain of,
Is that it doesn’t work this way

Perplexed are the people around me
Why do they care?
Sitting back watching this
Magnificent parade of disaster
Is it really that interesting?
My silence drives them mad
But when I speak,
My words become a circus
I feel like I’m being ripped apart in a feeding frenzy

Everyone seems to
Know what I need
Better than I…
Everyone seems to
Know my intentions
Better than I…
They know me,
Better than I…
I would challenge
Anyone who thinks they know…

Please…be my guest
Grant me an expert analysis…
Look beyond my hazel eyes
Into this glorious
Kaleidoscope of grays…
Refractions of fractures…
Judge me if
You are self-righteous enough
To do so

I’m not perfect
Go ahead and remind me…
Again.

Why is it,
That when you need someone the most,
You find yourself alone?
I’m not willing to cry,
Because I know there is no one
To provide a trustworthy shoulder,
I have been there
As often as I could
For anyone in need,
Yet the assumptions and judgment
Have made me feel isolated
I finally reached out for a moment
Only to lighten my load
To drop it, and move on
To understand more deeply
To feel better – not to offend
Just to have it come crashing down on me anyway
And I’ll admit, it hurts

Now I would rather rot on the inside than speak.
I would rather stay on my island
Than visit the mainland;
The lynch-mob is waiting

I have been judged and sentenced
Guilty because I would not defend myself
Guilty because I didn’t want to make things worse…
Guilty because I would rather be hurt, than hurt another…
I failed…but I meant well.

Have some faith in me…
Please…
Things are not always as they seem.

~Jennifer Rapier-Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment